Matthew Vaughn's Regrets On X-Men

Matthew Vaughn claims X-Men: The Last Stand would have been "a hundred times" better if he had directed it.

The director - who pulled out of the project just weeks before filming began - insists he could have made a better version of the action blockbuster than director Brett Ratner, who took over at the last minute.

"As it happens, I could have made something a hundred times better than the film that was eventually made," Matthew told Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"It sounds arrogant, but I could have done something with far more emotion and heart.

"I'm probably going to be told off for saying that, but I genuinely believe it."

Matthew - who has a four-year-old son, Caspar, and three-year-old daughter Clementine with supermodel wife Claudia Schiffer - also revealed he would have loved to direct the film, but just didn't have enough time to commit to the project.

The Stardust director said: "What happened with X-Men 3 was I didn't have the time to make the movie that I wanted to make. I had a vision of how it should be, and I wanted to make sure I was making a film as good as X-Men 2, and I knew there was no way it could be. I just suddenly knew it wasn't the right thing for me to do.

"It was a tough decision, because it was a hell of an opportunity, but I was trying to make a career as a director, and I didn't want to be the man accused of making a bad X-Men movie.

"It could have been a death knell too. I had to be very, very careful because Hollywood could have said, 'Who does he think he is? He walked off a big movie.' So it was quite scary for me doing Stardust. "

Fairytale fantasy Stardust has an all-star cast including Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, Claire Danes, Sir Ian McKellen and Peter O'Toole.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: